Friday, May 31, 2013

Do Seasons Affect Babies?



A seven yearlong study conducted on 21,000 babies worldwide says seasons do affect the babies significantly.  The study, led by scientists at Harvard, shows that babies born in winter and spring are taller, weigh more, and are more intelligent.  The study also shows that babies born in the fall are more likely to live longer and are less prone to illness at older ages.  The season of birth can also influence whether a person is an optimist or pessimist.  Summer's babies that have a brighter outlook than winter-born grumblers.  Scientists don’t know exactly why these differences occur, but they believe it may be due to exposure to changing seasonal factors such as temperature, rainfall and ultraviolet radiation may be responsible.  I don’t believe that seasons are the only thing that affects the baby’s characteristics; genes must take an important role in determining its characteristics.  What do you think affects a baby’s characteristics?
NOS Theme(s):
1.      Science is subject to debate and tentative
2.      Importance of repeatability
3.      Science is collaborative   
 

5 comments:

  1. Here's an article on the same thing: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1335977/Summer-babies-sunnier-outlook-Season-birth-affect-body-clock-scientists-find.html

    This one has an experiment done on mice that finds that those born in winter have a harder time coping to changes. It's speculated that being born in the winter makes for a higher risk of food allergies, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a winter baby and I'm so short, I don't know why that didn't apply to me.
    I think genes, mother's eating habits during pregnancy, the environment the mother is in during pregnancy and the kid's childhood all affect how a baby turns out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder whether seasonal depression of the mother could also be a factor. The mother and baby are linked in ways that we still don't completely understand, and it's possible that it might pass to the baby.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/seasonal-affective-disorder/DS00195

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a fall baby, and I sure hope I'm less likely to get ill as I'm older. I find it so interesting that someone went through and documented the lives of 21,000 babies! Thats incredible! I actually looked at a similar article when trying to decide which to write about, this topic is so interesting!

    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/12/101205202510.htm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think there is also a role of curiosity because the scientists wanted to know about babies and if the season that they were born in affected what they were like.

    ReplyDelete